Thursday, October 31, 2013

2013 Jack-o-Lanterns

Happy Halloween!

I'm busy making mummified cake pops and gathering supplies for some spooky drinks to have while we pass out candy tonight with some friends over at our house, but I thought I'd pop in to post a couple pictures of our jack-o-lanterns.
This year I experimented a little more with carving into the pumpkin while still leaving some of the "meat" to form teeth. It was a bit tedious, but I also kind of liked it. Sort of cathartic. I think next year I might actually carving a face or an object into the side of the pumpkin, sort of like this or this but much simpler. lol
The hardest part was actually trying to get the teeth thin enough so that some light would show through at night. I'll let you know how I did when I post pictures from tonight's trick-or-treating fun.

Chris also stepped up his game this year with this awesome ghost guy. I totally love it!
One thing I did a little differently this year is that I cut my pumpkin open from the bottom, leaving the stem attached to the whole pumpkin. I thought this would make the whole thing a lot more seamless. You can see from Chris's pumpkin on the right that he went the traditional route.

The only issue with cutting out the bottom is that you have to be careful when moving the pumpkin to remember that the bottom piece isn't attached. So you either move it in two pieces or keep your hand under it. When it came to carving the pumpkin, though, it was basically the same. You just have to be careful not to tip it all the way upside down and smash the stem.

But I like the look of it and I was able to get my design a lot closer to the stem than I would have been able to if I had cut a circle around it.
So there's this year's pumpkin carving adventures. Hope everyone has a wonderful time trick-or-treating or handing out candy tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment