Friday, April 18, 2008

The Half-Time Plan

So here’s the thing. I need to decide what I’m going to do after all of our amazing post-grad adventures. Once we move in to our apartment and Chris starts working … what am I going to do?

Obviously I plan on working. But I have a feeling I’m going to need to have it a little more worked out than that. Here’s what I sort of want to do, but I’m a little afraid to do:

As I said in my first entry, I want to write. I want to be a professional writer. That would be amazing. To make my living off of writing. So what I could do is work half-time in a bookstore or something that requires very little mental energy, and write during all my free time. If I focus all my effort on getting and agent and getting published, I just might have a shot.

The scary part is: what if I don’t get published? What if no agent likes my work and no publishing house will take a chance on me? All that time would be wasted, and I’ll be just as much of a broke college student as I ever was.

But if you don’t take risks, I guess you never really even have the chance to go somewhere.

Wow. One of my first big decisions in my shiny new life. They don’t start you off with the easy ones first in the real world, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment