Saturday, December 24, 2011

Hang 'Em High and Wide

After a bit of trial and error, we managed to get the window treatments figured out for the front room. I hung the curtain rod so that the curtains would touch the floor, but once I swooped the curtain over the tie-back, the curtains no longer skimmed the floor. Not to mention that the curtain rod looked awkward being in line with the trim. I also decided that the windows looked bare with just one panel, so I went to Target and bought some faux-wood blinds to add some depth and extra privacy. This was definitely key. With Chris's help (apparently drilling into oak trim requires more force than I could muster) I hung the shades and brought in the rich wood tones the room was lacking.



The windows with the new shades and the curtain rod where I hung it originally.

Next, I took down the curtain rods and rehung them several inches higher to open up the space and create the illusion of taller ceilings.


Here you can see where I switched the curtain rod on the left, compared to the original height on the right.

Much better.


So now the curtains hang well above the floor and the trim, which I think looks more intentional than if they were just an inch or two too short. Now they are basically window length instead of floor length. While I would have preferred floor-length curtains, I loved the colors of these curtains too much to pass them up for longer ones.

I patched up the original holes and now I just have to wait for them to dry so I can retouch the paint. And then the window treatments are all finished. Yay!

We bought a Dremel this week, and I'm excited to get started on the bookcases. Once I carve out the shape of the baseboard at the backs, the bookcases will stand flush against the wall and look amazing. Then it's on to cutting down and installing the shelves. A DIY girl's job is never done!

Merry Christmas Eve!