Sunday, April 12, 2009

Okay, I've made a decision ... I think

I talked to four professors at Syracuse University teaching in the Advertising program about what the program would offer me. I met with the president of a local advertising company to find out what he looks for when hiring someone new. I even interviewed for an advertising internship with a different ad company. And after all that, I determined that this particular program isn't exactly right for me.

As for the journalism program, I'm just not sure it's right either. I'm starting to think that I'm not going to attend either of the graduate programs at SU. While they are both excellent, prestigious programs, I just don't think the value of that education for me would be worth the price tag. If I end up going to grad school for anything, I think I would try to get accepted into a Master of Fine Arts creative writing program.

I know, I know. I've had such great luck finding a job with my undergraduate degree in creative writing, you must be wondering why I would ever consider getting another degree in an area that won't get me a job. Well, I guess my only answer would be: because I love it. Writing is my passion in life. Becoming a full-time, published writer is my dream; it's not a job, but it's a part of who I am. Any more money that I put into my education needs to be helping me get closer to my real dream, and not just a job that may or may not be an adequate fit for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment