Thursday, February 23, 2012

Patch, Prime and Paint the Kitchen Trim

Part of the reason the bookshelf project isn't finished yet is that I've been dealing with repairing trim after the break-in and just cleaning up the house. When the cops were in our house after the burglary, they kept asking "So ... did they move anything in here or was this like that before?" That's when we realized how messy and disorganized our house had gotten. If you can't tell whether or not a house has been ransacked by a hasty thief, you've got a problem.

But back to the kitchen. I thought I'd be able to knock out the trim painting last night, but the oils in the wood trim around the sink were seeping through the primer and top coat and turning things yellow, so I had to add another layer of primer and let that dry overnight. Hopefully we'll get this finished off tonight. But doesn't it already look so much better?



Please excuse the bad lighting. I finished up at about 10pm last night. I'll post better/daytime pics soon.

Remember what the window looked like before?

How about before that? So dark and woody!

Basically, I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out already. Even with paint cans and mess everywhere. The white trim just looks a lot fresher and more modern. And now it matches the other window with it's touch-up job, pictured below.


 And look! From back here it actually looks like the door trim is as good as before the burglary.

Unfortunately, if you look closer, you can see that I wasn't able to get it toally smooth. The combination of hammering from the contractors, paint chipping off and my inexperienced hand trying to build it all back up with wood filler did not equal total success. But it's better than just after the break in, so I'll take what I can get.

Isn't the new door knob pretty, though?


No comments:

Post a Comment