It all started here, in the little entryway area of our kitchen. See that hole where the fourth peg is supposed to be on the coat rack? Well, there used to be a peg there too, and when it snapped off, the madness was initiated.
I had been thinking about changing things up in this area for a while now, anyway, and needing a new coat rack seemed like a good excuse to get started.
There's hardly ever a clear spot on the counter, and it made it difficult to prepare meals and basically just function in there. So I knew my new entryway also needed to become a mail station. That's when I turned to a piece of furniture I already owned: our sideboard.
A couple years ago, Chris and I picked up this cute little wooden sideboard at HomeGoods. The price was great and we thought the style was pretty cool too.
Well, fast forward to present day. Turns out, black furniture is not really my style. Nor are the ornate mirrors covering the drawer and cabinet fronts. But all those drawers and cabinets made this the ideal workhorse for a kitchen/entryway with too much junk. So I decided this bad boy was ready for a makeover that would help it look at home in my kitchen.
But first, I took off all the hardware, pulled out the drawers, and gave the whole thing a light sanding. Then I found out I could actually sand off the black ornate paint on the mirrors, so when I painted over them, I would have a nice, even, smooth finish. I didn't need to do this with the drawer fronts because I was actually able to completely remove the mirrors and use a backer board as the new drawer fronts.
Turns out, removing those shelves in the kitchen was a little tricker than I anticipated. Turns out, the walls are actually painted wallpaper. And when we repainted them when we moved in, we must have been a smidge too eager to hang our shelves and put them up on wet-ish paint. So when I went to take down the shelf, the paint (and thus the wallpaper) came with it.
Cue sad trombone music. Waa waa waaaaa.
Another little trick I figured out: the backer board on the drawers wasn't super thick, and the screws that the hardware came with were pretty long. I couldn't find just the right shorter versions of the original screws, so I added a 1" thick piece of wood along the inside of each drawer. So then the long screws go through the backer board and the piece of wood and secure tightly. It also helps to add a little strength to the backer board. Win win.
Oh, and Shadow was interested in cautious during this whole process. What a surprise.
I'm also hoping that having only a small corner for our shoes will help us contain them. As it was before, sometimes the shoes would be spread out all the way to the refrigerator, creating a lovely tripping hazard and doorstop when you're trying to access the milk. haha
But at least I've made dent (no pun intended) in this whole "one thing leads to another" cycle. I recently moved a bookcase out of the guest room to make room for my new vanity, and now that the sideboard is in the kitchen, there's room in the dining room for the bookcase. But that also means I might like to paint the bookcase ... The cycle continues and the worms just keep coming out of this can.